Monday, October 27, 2008

Whoops, I've been meaning to post... but who has the time?

Wow, October is practically gone and I'm still trying to figure out what happened to September. On the fitness side, I feel great, but I'm way out of shape. It's ugly. Training has been sporadic with leanings toward non-existent. I'll fix that, it's just a matter of getting it in. In fact, I ran today and it was simply gorgeous. We're experiencing unusually good weather, and I just couldn't let another beautiful day go by without enjoying it. It was just a little 3 mile run prior to lunch, but it was really good. My iPod was pumping out the bluegrass instrumentals and I just trucked along.

Speaking of bluegrass I got to spend a week with my dad, uncle, and family friends at Turkey Track earlier this month. We had just an amazing time. I haven't played as much in the previous year as I played over that one week. We'd get up for breakfast, clean up and pick. We'd break for lunch, clean-up and pick. We might catch a stage show, eat dinner, clean-up and pick. The ends of my fingers are still flat. By the end of the week, I was playing as well as I've played in years. I just need to keep it fresh in my head on my own. All those years of having Dad playing rhythm for me in practice spoiled me. I just don't like to practice by myself. The other funny thing was we both brought a digital recorder with us. And do you think either one of us actually recorded a single tune, nope. Not a one. I could kick myself now. I learned a couple of new tunes, dusted off some really old tunes, and came up with some new stuff for a few regulars in my arsenal. Mostly though, we had a great time and weeks like that are what music is really about. Family and friends, new and old, sharing the music and sitting around a campfire just playing until your fingers are sore, and then playing some more. I hope we get to do it all again very soon.

No comments: